Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Tutorial: Box of Crayons Applique Onesie


My parents recently brought me my sewing machine, which I had been storing at their house and I got right to work making a onesie with a felt applique of a crayon box.  I picked this design because I have a ton of colorful wool blend felt that I have been itching to use.

Here are the pieces I cut for the applique.  I ended up adding a green oval to the crayon box and small navy ovals to the crayons.  If I make this design again I would probably add those small details by hand...I think it would be easier than fussing with the machine.


After cutting the pieces I first sewed the crayon box to the onesie and then I attached the crayons to a scrap piece of fabric so that I could attach them to the onesie as one piece:




Here they are attached:


I then attached the crayons to the crayon box by sewing along the outer rim of the set of crayons and I used a zig zag stitch along the top of the crayons to make them look a little more realistic.

I really like the way it turned out and I might make a long sleeved version for the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment